Sawyer Premium Controlled Release Insect Repellent significantly reduces the rate of DEET absorption by 67% per application, and extends the duration of its effectiveness. And at a safe level of 20% DEET, our Family Friendly formula controls the evaporation of DEET, allowing it to safely protect you all day, in the backcountry or in the backyard.
- Odorless, non-greasy, and perspiration resistant
- Designed to be compatible with the use of sunscreen
- Effective against ticks and ALL mosquitoes including those carrying West Nile Virus.
- EPA-approved formula controls DEET exposure by encapsulating DEET in a protein that dissolves slowly, releasing the DEET over a longer period of time
- Use in conjunction with Sawyer® Insect Repellent Clothing Treatment, for double protection
- 20% DEET formula
- Always use as directed
- [SP526] – 6 oz. lotion
- [SP520] – 4 oz. lotion
- [SP522c] – 2 oz. lotion
Yes, this product may be used on children in accordance with the product’s directions for use. The CDC states: “No definitive studies have been published about what concentration of DEET is safe for children. No serious illness has been reported from use of DEET according the manufacturer’s recommendations. DEET formulations as high as 50% are recommended for both adults and children less than 2 months of age. Lower concentrations are not as long lasting, offering short-term protection only and necessitating more frequent reapplication.” (www.cdc.gov)
We recommend Sawyer Controlled Release Insect Repellent Lotion for children. Based on a dermal absorption study accepted by the EPA, Sawyer Controlled Release Insect Repellent is the ONLY currently registered formula proven to reduce DEET absorption. Our EXCLUSIVE Low DEET Absorption formula is proven to reduce DEET by 67% per application! (Read full Reduced Dermal Absorption Test (PDF).) Controlled Release Insect Repellent is odorless, greaseless and compatible with sunscreens.
Note: If flies, gnats, or no-see-ums are a pest, read the following question.